Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Healthcare Legislation, Liberty, and Stock -- What a Combination!

  What a great day in the market as we close in on the last 15 minutes of trading!  I closed out my long call on Las Vegas Sands (LVS) today for a 39% gain over two days, so all is well.  I think LVS has further run this year, by the way, and will keep watching it.  I hope none of my friends were caught in short positions today - tough place to be.

  President Obama signed the healthcare legislation into law today, and fourteen states including mine immediately filed lawsuits against the federal government as a result.  I think this is really interesting and will try to watch it closely.  The basic claim here centers upon states' rights and the legality of the federal government to mandate the purchase of a commercial market product simply by virtue of birth.  I for one appreciate the states fighting the issue, as its a much larger problem than healthcare alone (and that is saying something!).  And yes, this does differ from car insurance (privilege) and Medicare (tax), which are the common comparisons.  I don't like the federal government intruding any more than absolutely necessary into my life. 

  In case you're wondering, I am a true Libertarian and encourage anyone who might read this to visit the Party's official web site at http://www.lp.org/ to get a clear idea about the Party's platform, explore various liberty-related links, and hopefully join!  We need a viable third party now more than ever to avoid the "lesser of two evils", big government leadership choices we currently get every election cycle.  Please also explore the Cato Institute for some great common sense, liberty-based analysis of current events.

  Now for a related stock.  I bought Health Grades, Inc., stock symbol HGRD, a while back, as it is the leading independent healthcare ratings organization (http://www.healthgrades.com/).  That has paid off to the tune of a 25% gain.  Of course, the last two days have been good for the stock due to the healthcare legislation.  Obviously the business model is sound, but the companies fundamentals and the charts look great, too.  I expect their business to grow this year and continue to pay off.  A great thing is that this is a NASDAQ-listed stock currently trading for around $6/share, so it has a lot of upside.  In fact, I think it is a bit undervalued.  Take a look at HGRD and see what you think!

Good trading and good health! 

No comments:

Post a Comment